It is no secret that kids are picky eaters.
Most kids would choose fried chicken over a hearty soup nine times out of ten.
The usual food choices of kids include chocolates, chips, French fries, spaghetti, fried chicken, burgers, and pizza.
Thus, convincing kids to eat healthier options is a common problem for parents.
It will always be hard to convince your kids that apples are as sweet and tasty as chocolate cake.
Luckily, there is a solution.
Healthy food can become appetizing to kids if the kids’ favorite part is still present.
For example, if your child loves pizza, you can make your own pizza using whole wheat flour for the dough and choose healthier toppings such as chicken and vegetables.
Here’s another example.
If your child loves French fries or potato chips, try substituting the potatoes with sweet potatoes or cassava.
The key is to give their favorite foods a makeover.
Here are 5 healthy recipes that even your picky kids would love.
Whole Wheat Mushroom Spaghetti
- 200 grams of whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- 60 ml white wine
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley or fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white onions, chopped
- 200 grams of sliced fresh mushrooms
- 100 grams Shitake mushrooms (soaked for 15 minutes in warm water)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the spaghetti noodles according to the directions provided on the label. While the noodles are cooking, you may start preparing the mushroom sauce.
- In a large saucepan, add the olive oil. Saute the garlic and onions in it. Make sure not to burn the garlic.
- Add the mushrooms and the white wine. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat down to a simmer. Wait until the liquid is reduced.
- Add a bit of the water in which the Shitake mushrooms were soaked. Bring to a boil again.
- Once boiling, lower the heat. Add all the herbs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about five to seven minutes.
- Once the noodles are cooked, take a bit of the pasta water and add it to the sauce. Stir well.
- Serve the noodles with the sauce immediately.
Healthy Fruit Smoothie
- ½ cup instant oats
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 glass of milk
- 1 plum, sliced
- 7-10 pieces of grapes
- 2 melon slices
- 2-3 papaya slices
- 1 whole kiwi, cut
- Put all of the ingredients in a blender.
- Pulse them together until well blended.
- Serve with ice or chill first for a few hours before serving.
- Note: You may adjust the amount of honey to your desired sweetness. You may also add any other fruits that you like.
- 1 can of tuna (425g), water drained
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Freshly squeezed juice of half a lemon
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup corn kernels
- Half of a capsicum, diced
- 3 spring onions, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Olive oil for frying
- Take a large mixing bowl and place the tuna in it.
- Break up the tuna.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Form patties.
- Heat a skillet. Put a little bit of olive oil.
- Fry the tuna patties for a few minutes per side, until both sides are golden brown.
- Place the cooked patties on a plate lined with some paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve with rice or with hamburger buns. You may add any vegetables of your choice.
- 1 cup Ragi flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup rice bran oil
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tbsp salt
- 2 pinches ginger powder
- ½ tbsp green cardamom powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cardamom powder and the Ragi flour.
- Roast the mixture for 1-2 minutes until a darker color is achieved.
- Take a larger mixing bowl and put in the egg. Whisk the egg.
- Add the brown sugar and the Ragi flour and cardamom powder mixture. Combine well.
- Add the salt and ginger powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the oil. Combine thoroughly. You should now have a dough.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius for five to seven minutes.
- Take a cookie sheet and line it with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough into 1-tablespoon sized balls and place them on the sheet.
- You should be able to fit only twelve 1-tablespoon sized balls onto a 9×13 baking sheet.
- Flatten the dough balls using your palms.
- Bake for about eight minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Baked Healthy Chicken Nuggets
- 1 lb chicken breast fillets, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- Olive oil
- Take a small mixing bowl and put in the raw honey, brown mustard, and Greek yogurt. Stir well to combine.
- Take a shallow dish, and put in the all-purpose flour, ½ tsp salt, pepper, and paprika. Mix well.
- Take a small bowl and break the eggs into it. Whisk well.
- Take another shallow dish and place the panko crumbs in it.
- Coat the chicken pieces with the flour mixture.
- Then, dip them into the beaten eggs.
- Next, cover them well with the panko crumbs, pressing lightly so that the crumbs would stick.
- In a large skillet, heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook about three to five minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through, and the crumbs are golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 tsp kosher salt over the cooked chicken.
- Serve with the honey-mustard dipping sauce.
The recipes listed above are all very easy to follow and require the most basic ingredients.
Go ahead and give them a try!