Dinner doesn’t have to be complicated.
Here are four recipes for easy dinner ideas that are quick to prepare yet are very healthy and taste delectable!
Barley and Eggplant Salad
This is a hearty dish with wonderful flavors.
For vegetarians, the chicken broth can be replaced by water but you will still get to savor the luscious and melt-in-your-mouth eggplants.
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces (227 in grams) pearl barley
- 14 ounces (397 in grams) low-sodium chicken broth (or water, if you are a vegetarian)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 pound (227 in grams) quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup olives, pitted and sliced in half
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 10 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound (340 in grams) zucchini, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 in grams) eggplant, diced
Makes: 12 servings
Calories: 210 per serving
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 degrees in Celsius). Place the oven racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven.
In a large mixing bowl, put in the diced zucchini and eggplant and add in 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 3/4 teaspoon table salt, and 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
Mix well. Divide the mixture into two greased large one-inch deep baking trays.
Roast the vegetable mixture in the preheated oven, with occasional stirring and switching the position of the baking trays halfway through the baking time, for about twenty to twenty-five minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and golden brown.
Transfer all vegetables in just one baking tray, and reserve the other tray later for the barley.
Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot, and add in the cayenne pepper, ground coriander, cumin seeds, and chopped scallions.
Stir well and cook for about one minute.
Add in the pearl barley and cook for about two more minutes, with constant stirring.
Add in the water and the chicken broth and allow to boil.
Once boiling, reduce to low heat and simmer for about thirty to forty minutes, or until the barley is soft and all of the liquids have been absorbed.
Turn off the heat and let sit for five minutes, covered.
Transfer the cooked barley to the reserved baking tray and spread evenly to cover the bottom.
Allow to cool for about twenty minutes, or until it has reached room temperature, uncovered.
To prepare the dressing, in a very large mixing bowl, mix together the remaining three tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon table salt, granulated sugar, minced garlic, and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Mix well until fully combined.
Add in the roasted vegetables, cooked barley, and the remaining ingredients to the dressing and toss well until fully combined.
Serve immediately with slices of your choice of cheese.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Cherry Tomato, Garlic, and Grilled Eggplant Salad
This simple yet flavorful salad is great together with steak, lamb, or any meat main dish, but can be eaten and enjoyed on its own!
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 pint (532 in grams) cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 6 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds (567 in grams) eggplants (peeled, sliced into one-inch pieces)
Makes: 4 servings
Calories: 130 per serving
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees in Celsius).
Arrange eggplant pieces in a 9×13-inch roasting pan.
Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil on top and toss lightly to coat the eggplant pieces.
Roast in the preheated oven for twenty minutes.
Add in the peeled garlic cloves and continue roasting for an additional twenty-five minutes, or until the garlic and eggplant are soft.
Once done roasting, allow to cool for about ten minutes.
Chop the roasted garlic cloves finely, then transfer roasted eggplants and chopped garlic in a large bowl.
Add in all the remaining ingredients into the eggplant and garlic mixture and stir well until fully combined.
Add ground black pepper and table salt to taste. Allow it to cool to room temperature before serving. Enjoy!
Roasted Tomatoes and Broccoli
Bright, Mediterranean ingredients are tossed together with this delicious dish of roasted tomatoes and broccoli just before serving.
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 10 pitted black olives, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon rind
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 4 cups broccoli crowns, chopped into bite-size pieces
Makes: 4 servings
Calories: 76 per serving
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (232 degrees in Celsius).
In a large mixing bowl, combine the table salt, minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, grape tomatoes, and chopped broccoli.
Stir well to combine.
Spread evenly across a baking pan and bake for about ten to thirteen minutes, or until the broccoli just starts to brown.
While baking, mix together the dried oregano, halved olives, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and freshly grated lemon rind in a large mixing bowl.
Add in the baked vegetables and stir well until fully combined.
Cool for five minutes and serve
This recipe takes only five minutes to make and is a filling and delicious meal.
- 1 tablespoon vinaigrette
- 1 1/4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons pitted black olives, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 of an avocado, seed removed, sliced into cubes
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1 9-inch spinach wrap or tortilla wrap
- 1 tablespoon regular cream cheese
Makes: 1 serving
Calories: 370 per serving
Spread the cream cheese evenly on one side of the spinach or tortilla wrap.
Add the cubed avocado, crumbled feta cheese, chopped basil leaves, chopped spinach, vinaigrette, and halved olives.
Roll up the wrap carefully and slice in half diagonally.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!